Contrary to popular belief, Translation is not a singular task. Rather, Translation is a process involving multiple tasks which require a careful alignment for execution. This alignment of tasks is integral to achieve high quality translations quickly while maintaining the style of language and the format of the document.
Additionally, with all the technical advancements over the years, expectations from clients who seek translation services have also changed. Quick, High- quality translations are rapidly becoming a norm in the industry.
During its pilot phase, ArabEasy performed a thorough research on the various practices followed in the translation industry and also evaluated over 5000 translators from across the world. The aim was to achieve high-quality translations every time in the shortest turnaround time possible.
The insights from the research helped in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of translators and devise an appropriate strategy accordingly, to fulfill any translation requirement.
Be it a word document or an excel worksheet or a presentation, the translation of different file types requires a different process (which is essentially, a unique order of execution of the tasks listed below); with each file requiring varying degree of effort as per the complexity of its contents.
While many operational entities in the translation industry may refer to, skip/combine or define these tasks differently depending on their level of expertise, their practice of translation and the resources available to them; listed below are the essential tasks to be performed in order to achieve the highest quality translations.
Tasks to be performed during the Translation process
- Confirm the receipt of the document and obtain any instructions from client to set the expectations for the final output file.
- Analyze the source language file to confirm the word count and identify complex portions (if any).
- Estimate the time required complete the translation assignment and plan capacity for Translation, Proofreading, Quality Assurance and Visual Graphic teams, who would provide support during the translation process.
- Award translation assignments to translators as per planned capacity.
- Communicate with the teams; provide instructions integral to the translation assignment along with the deadline for the completion of the assignment.
- Confirm the commencement of the translation process
- Large documents at times require quick turnaround time, which are not possible without multiple translators and proofreaders working in parallel on the same assignment.
- Analyze the feasibility for splitting the document and split the document into batches while taking into account the complexity, amount of content to be translated in every batch of pages.
- Every translation assignment requires thorough research in the domain of the content of the document due to the vast terminology of that particular domain and also for jargons, abbreviations and names of entities used in the document.
- For example, medical terminology is not known by the general population and while translating medical documentation, knowledge in the field of medicine and health would allow appropriate translation of domain specific terminology like names of diseases, organs, hormones etc.
- Proofreaders ensure the accuracy of translation and ensure that no content in the source document is left out in translation.
- Proofreaders provide continuous support to translators to ensure proper sentence structure and the correct translation of ambiguous text.
- Correct any spelling or grammatical mistakes, refine the style of document and ensure proper terminology is used.
- Unify the translation of common terms used in the document and ensure the integrity of the content of the document.
- Visual Graphics
- If the page template for the source file can’t be preserved, recreate the page templates for the complete document.
- Ensure that the formatting scheme of the source language file is followed in translated file.
- If translation language pairs have different scripts in terms of direction of writing and reading (left to right and right to left), ensure that the pages and elements in the document are flipped or aligned appropriately.
- Quality Assurance
- Provide continuous operational and translation support to translators to mitigate any issues arising during the translation process, as soon as they are encountered.
- Assign a master translator for the complete assignment to provide continuous support to translators and proofreaders to ensure optimal quality of translation without any discrepancies or ambiguities in translation.
ArabEasy identified the various tasks required to be performed during the translation process, set benchmark expectations from the output after each task, trained translators according to the set benchmarks and then, for each task during the translation process, utilized the skills of translators with the right strengths to achieve optimal output for that particular task.
ArabEasy ensures that the translated documents/information meets client expectations every time by smart scheduling multiple rounds (as per requirement of assignment) of the aforementioned tasks which ensures highest quality of translation in shortest turn-around time possible whilst maintaining the style and format of the original source document.